Thursday 14 May 2015

Music or silence?



Last week, my beloved, nearly-a-decade-old iPod shuffle took its last breath. The battery has been a bit capricious recently, and it finally gave up the ghost – 5 minutes after being unplugged! Thankfully, shuffles are no longer expensive, and the friendly folks at Westfield supplied me with a new one in double quick speed. It took me a little longer to get it up and running, but it’s now performing marvellously and the crisis has been resolved.

It got me thinking though. When I started running, I couldn’t go out without being plugged into some music. The idea of trudging along without a soundtrack of some kind was slightly terrifying. Over the years since, my attitude has done almost a complete about turn. Now, I use my iPod to listen to podcasts on my way to work, but I don’t often use it when I’m running. I’d much rather be listening to the world around me. Those around me – friends, family – are divided in their opinions too. My brother never listens to music when he runs. My mum always listens to podcasts. And I have friend’s who can’t imagine running without music.

The opinion in the wider world reflects this divide. Search for “running with music” and you’ll find articles on websites such as Runner’s world (here) or the Guardian (here) debating the question. And I can see both sides of the debate. Music, provided the tempo is appropriate, can help drive you on, pick your feet up and keep going when your legs start to feel heavy. Podcasts, on the other hand, are good for longer, slower runs, providing distraction when the miles seem too long. There seems to be some evidence floating around that suggests people do run faster when they’re listening to music, and indeed, that increasing the tempo of the music increases the effort they put in (some of these studies are quoted in the Guardian article, and it makes for interesting reading). And that’s something I can admit to having personal experience of. When I was rowing for my college, I certainly couldn’t have done some of the hard ergo workouts that I did (namely, the 2k time trials) without a pumping playlist!

For those on the other side of debate, there are two types of argument. The first is the safety argument, which is the one that has also seen headphones banned from some runs. When you’re plugged in, blocking out the world, accidents become more likely to happen. This is partly because you tend to be less aware of your surroundings – less likely to hear the car coming, or the dog barking as you pass by, or the child yelling before launching himself into your path. And if you’re focusing on what’s inside your head, you automatically become slightly more blinkered, and less likely to notice those around you. Those things can all be overcome, though, by paying careful attention to the volume of the music.

The other argument, and the one I’d use to explain why I don’t listen to music when running, is that you can focus more on your body and your workout when you’re running without. It’s easier to pay attention to things like foot-fall, heart rate, breathing and so on when you can hear them without the distraction of music. Certainly with interval sessions or hill sessions, I find it easier to feel confident that I’m doing the right work at the right intensity when I’m not listening to music.


Having read more of the debate, and some of the scientific studies, I wonder if it might be time to start incorporating some music back into my training though. I certainly won’t be listening to music all the time, but perhaps the odd podcast on a long run, or some pumped up music during a tempo session… We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment